Translate in your own language!

Monday 5 May 2014

Asparagus Season!

I looooove asparagus! And so does my Mom, I remember when I was young my grandmother always took a lot of asparagus with her as a gift to my mother when she visited us. The white thick asparagus came from Germany, from the region where my dear grandmother lived. A region that was well known for this lovely vegetable. I wasn't a huge fan of asparagus, but I sure am now. I already whipped up an amazing pasta dish this week with the lovely vegetable, so good! I served gluten free corn pasta, a cream sauce that's actually not creamy and bad for your belly, smoked salmon, asparagus and spinach. And YES, I forgot to make a picture.. again. But it was sooooo damn tasty, so I promise to you all I will make it again soon and post the beautiful dish here on Hungry For Healthy Food.

Back to the asparagus, besides the fact it's damn tasty.. Did you by know that asparagus is full of health benefits of well? It's full of fiber, vitamins A, C, E, K, the complex B-group of vitamins and it's an herbaceous plant as well. A what? Next to avocado, kale and Brussel sprouts, they have a particularly rich source of glutathione - until now still not interesting right? But here it comes - this is a detoxifying compound that helps break down carcinogens and other harmful compounds like free radicals! That's why eating asparagus can actually help protect against and fight certain forms of cancer. Asparagus is also packed with antioxidants, ranking among the top fruits and vegetables for it's ability to neutralize cell-damaging free radicals. This may help slow down the aging process. Woooohoooooo Forever young! So it almost sounds like a superfood to me right? (And then I didn't even mention the fact it's a very low calorie vegetable (oops now I did), 100 gram of fresh spears provide just 20 calories.


Back to the recipe! A wonderful dish with on the bottom fresh lettuce and topped with steamed asparagus (so you won't loose all the vitamins), omega 3 packed salmon and more. So a dish that's rich in good fats, packed with protein and full of Vitamin A (good for your skin), B12, C and E! 

Ingredients

for the Salad
1 organic fresh egg
tablespoon of pine nuts
3 small radishes
some steamed asparagus (about 4)
100 g smoked salmon
Big handful of lettuce
2 small tomatoes

For the dressing
1/4 (60ml) cup fresh orange juice
1/3 (80 ml) cup olive oil
1/4 (60ml) cup white wine vinegar
1 tsp Dijon mustard
salt and pepper to taste

Boil or poach your egg the way you like, I love it when it's half way cooked and the egg yolk is running out of the egg and is drizzling over your salad. Stir fry the nuts in a dry pan until browned and fragrant. Then grab a plate and start off with a big handful of lettuce, top with radishes, asparagus, tomato, smoked salmon in pieces and serve with the egg on top, the pine nuts sprinkled all over and a big spoon of the lovely salad dressing.

Psst: you can store the remaining dressing in a jar in the fridge for a while.
Nutritional information: approx. 360 calories, 19.8 grams of fat, 29.7 grams of protein.

Bon appetit! 

No comments:

Post a Comment