Translate in your own language!

Thursday 6 February 2014

My Coconut Cream Pie

Guys, I think you are going to love this one..

For my birthday last year, I came up with the recipe for this beauty. I was searching online and in my million cookbooks for a great recipe for a delicious healthy pie but none of the recipes I found were healthy enough or were exactly what I was looking for. I noticed that a lot of people stop using flour and are only using almond flour or soaked nuts in their recipes. You end up having a delicious pie, but it can definitely give you a lot of calories in return. So I looked around in my kitchen and grabbed the things I love, banana, coconut.. I had no idea if it was going to work, but damn.. I guess it did ;-)

My lactose and gluten free Coconut "cream" Pie
Ingredients
for the crust
4 spoons of unsweetened applesauce (for the dutch this is appelmoes)
2 spoons of coconut oil
200 gram coconut flour
2 eggs
2 spoons of honey
50 gram of shredded coconut
pinch of sea salt
1 spoon of water

stuffing
1 egg yolk
25 gram custard powder
100 ml almond milk
120 ml soy milk
2 spoons of stevia
1 whipped egg white

garnish
hand of shredded coconut
banana
some fresh raspberries

To make this delicious pie, preheat the oven on 180 degrees Celsius.
For the crust mix all the dry ingredients (flour, salt and shredded coconut) in a bowl and all the wet ingredients in a different bowl (coconut oil (heat up until liquid), applesauce, 2 eggs, honey and water). Then combine until you form a pastry, gather the dough into a ball, then pat into a greased pie pan. Bake for 20 minutes and let it completely cool down.
You can start with the filling when your crust is baking, place the custard powder in a medium-sized saucepan and add a little of the milk. Whisk until the powder is completely dissolved. Pour in the remaining milk and place the saucepan over medium heat. Heat, whisk frequently, until the mixture becomes visibly hot. Add stevia, then drizzle in the beaten egg yolks, still whisking. Cook over medium heat until thick - about 5 to 8 minutes. Fold in the whipped egg white and pour the mixture over the the crust, so it can cool down to room temperature. Then, move the pie over to the fridge so it can completely cool down. Let it sit for at least 2 hours. When serving the pie garnish with the shredded coconut, fresh raspberries and banana.

NOTE: When I use stevia, I often use a variation of stevia that looks like sugar. Sometimes I use liquid but then I will mention it as stevia drops. So make sure if you use a different kind you taste after adding a bit to make it not too sweet or not enough sweet to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment